WhatsApp is working on a feature that will enable users to transfer their chat data from Android to iOS. However, WhatsApp already has an option to transfer chat from Android to iPhone for selected Samsung smartphones and Google Pixel devices.
The support to transfer chat from Android to iPhone is under development
As per WABetaInfo, beta version 22.2.74 of WhatsApp for iOS adds the ability to transfer chat from Android to iPhone. The update points towards using the Move to iOS app to transfer chats. As of now, there isn’t a timeframe saying when users will be able to import chat data from Android to iOS devices.
In the screenshots shared by the WhatsApp news tracker, it appears that WhatsApp will ask for permission before starting the transfer process, and will then instruct the user to keep the app open and the phone unlocked as it transfers the chats from Android to iPhone device.
How to migrate WhatsApp chats from an iPhone to a new Samsung phone
To enable the transfer, the old iPhone needs to have WhatsApp iOS version 220.127.116.11 or newer and the new Samsung phone has to have WhatsApp Android version 18.104.22.168 or newer. Here’s how you can do it:
- Turn on your Samsung and connect by cable to your iPhone
- Follow the Samsung Smart Switch instructions
- When connected, scan the QR code displayed on the new Samsung device using the iPhone’s camera
- Tap Start on your iPhone and wait for the process to complete
- Continue setting up your new Samsung device
- When you reach the home screen, open WhatsApp and log in using the phone number used on your old device
- Tap Import, and allow the process to complete
- Finish activating your new device